Job Opening: Bookkeeper/Human Resources Manager/Connecting for Change Conference Family Program Coordinator
The Marion Institute (MI) (www.marioninstitute.org) seeks a Bookkeeper, Human Resources Manager and Connecting for Change Family Program Coordinator to join the Executive Director and MI team. We are looking for a motivated team player and self-starter who would like a varied, interesting work environment, and able to work on a number of exciting projects at the same time.
Founded in 1993, The Marion Institute is a non-profit that acts as an incubator for a diverse array of Programs and Serendipity Projects that seek to find a solution to the root cause of an issue in the realms of sustainability and social justice. The three tenants that thread our work together are accessibility, diversity and root cause solutions.
- Process all accounts payable in a timely manner and properly record all invoices and other items for payment in Quickbooks
- Process all wire transfers
- Process sales tax payments quarterly via the internet
- Responsible for ensuring finances are accurate and up-to-date
- Manage cash flow
- Reconcile all investments accounts
- Reconcile petty cash
- Manage inventory
- Prepare and manage Program budgets and give regular budget updates to Program Directors
- Assist in creating and managing event budgets when needed
- Prepare, review and be accountable for all Board required reporting
- Draft other financial reports as requested
- Manage annual audit and collaborate with Financial Services, Executive Director and the auditor in approval of yearend financial statements and audit reporting
- Liaison between all programs/projects and MI relative to financial reporting
- Review all insurance policies prior to renewal and make periodic updates/changes when necessary
- Process and enter into Quickbooks biweekly payroll, payroll taxes and employee health insurance contributions
- Prepare monthly pension report and submit payment
- Review plans and rates prior to open enrollment for Dental, Health, Life & Disability Insurance
- Manage Section 125, Healthcare Reimbursement and Dependent Care Arrangement Accounts
- Process quarterly HIRD reporting
- Manage 403b plan and process required annual Form 5500 reporting
- Periodic review of all benefits with emphasis on cost/value and if they reflect MI’s values of sustainability
- Assist the Executive Director with staff reviews, hiring and terminating personnel
- Ensure all employee files are complete and up to date
- Update Employee Handbook when needed
- Manage all employee time logs
- Help create independent consultant contracts when necessary
- Prepare and process W2’s and 1099’s
- Process workers’ comp annual audit
- Assist in administrative problem solving, program/project planning, development, and execution of stated goals and objectives (when necessary)
- Ensure required non-profit documents are in place [e.g. D&O Insurance, state registration for fundraising, etc.]
- Seek counsel from legal counsel on any legal questions and issues regarding MI
- Assist Executive Director in review and execution of legal contracts/agreements
CONNECTING FOR CHANGE CONFERENCE
- Family Program Coordinator: responsible for implementing Family Workshops, ongoing interactive space and childcare
- Help manage Green Space
- Coordinate breakfast, snack and VIP dinner donations
- Coordinate breakfasts and snacks
- Mentor, train and manage an AmeriCorps volunteer for two months
- Assist with other event related duties [when necessary]
- Knowledge of non-profit financial budgeting and planning
- Working knowledge of Quickbooks
- Excellent computer and organizational skills
- Detail-oriented with the ability to summarize information
- Ability to multitask and work well under pressure
Salary commensurate with experience.
How to Apply:
Please send cover letter, resume, professional references, salary requirement and a writing sample by May 24, 2013 to:
Lena Grima, Human Resources
The Marion Institute
202 Spring Street
Marion, MA 02738
Interested parties are encouraged to apply via electronic mail.
MI is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks a diverse pool of candidates in this search.
Title: Store Manager at How On Earth
We are a small store and local foods restaurant serving seasonal farm to table fare and sourcing many seasonal grocery and locally and organically produced grocery products. We are seeking a Store Manager who will develop our grocery, educational and prepared kitchen program. The Store Manager is 100% responsible for all areas of the operation. In addition to daily ordering, costing out of items, and menu development in collaboration with the stores Head Chef, you will have the opportunity to develop our sustainability initiatives and direct innovative store management systems that embody the sustainable foods movement.
The right candidate for this position is positive, extremely hard working, knowledgeable, and independent. You know the facts behind the food and products: where it comes from, how it was grown, what its impact is, why it is good for you, and how much it costs. You have a true passion for local, sustainable agriculture and strive to make the best choices in the store 100% of the time. You are well versed in the topics of grass fed vs. grain fed meats, GMO’S, the importance of anti-biotic and hormone free meats/dairy, and other sustainable food system issues. You are driven to learn and teach staff, customers, and community members about local, sustainable, foods.
The right candidate for this position will recognize this as a very unique opportunity to have creative design of store programs, and innovative food systems; to network with local farmers and local foods activists; and work with an amazing team of truly passionate people.
You lead and motivate the How on Earth Team, organize all aspects of How on Earth’s functionality as a business and educational model, and perform all the behind-the-scenes tasks, which create a seamless flow of service, sustainability, and education to everyone who walks in the door.
• Oversee all aspects of How on Earth and make final decisions on matters of importance.
• Direct hiring, training, and scheduling of all employees.
• Maintain an accurate and up-to-date plan of store staffing needs. Prepare schedules and ensure all shifts are covered.
• Develop team member skills by providing feedback, establishing performance expectations, and by conducting employee reviews and providing employee incentives. Revise and adapt employee job descriptions and protocols when necessary.
• Empower team members through job training workshops and skills development.
• Ensure all team members have knowledge and skills to provide customers with excellent customer service.
• Assist all team members when needed.
• Delegate weekly tasks when needed.
• Ensure that all financial (invoices, reporting) and personnel/ payroll related administrative duties are completed accurately and on time.
• Monitor and be accountable for financial transactions, including buying of inventory, day-to-day costs, and major expenses.
• Sole purchaser of store inventory.
• Work with accounting personnel on monthly basis to ensure profitability and ensure that costs are being cut when applicable.
• Collaborate with Kitchen Manager to complete budgets.
• Direct the creation of a business plan, which reflects the How on Earth mission, vision, and values.
• Ensure all How on Earth practices are legal.
Food Safety and Planning:
• Be servsafe certified. Ensure sanitary practices for food handling, cleanliness and maintenance of kitchen and dining areas.
• Be knowledgeable and comply with all health and safety regulations.
• Work with Kitchen Manager to plan prepared foods products, order accurately, minimize waste, and monitor food costs.
• Supervise portion control and quantities for preparation to minimize waste.
• Work with Kitchen Manager to revise food sources for sustainability.
• Ensure all certified kitchen users have adequate paper work and forms on file.
• Provide kitchen users with proper information on using kitchen
• Schedule kitchen users accurately.
• Ensure customer service in all areas.
• Seek and respond to customer feedback for products and services.
• Respond to any and all complaints, taking any and all appropriate actions to turn dissatisfied customers into return guests.
• Keep records of customer feedback.
• Direct team training in sales and customer service.
Education and Sustainability:
• Direct and develop educational materials for staff and customers.
• Ensure that all aspects of our products and services are in line with the How on Earth vision, mission, and values statements.
• Develop new and innovative programs, workshops, services, or events, to educate staff and customers about sustainability issues and create a friendly atmosphere of community involvement.
• Develop goals and visions for the future of How on Earth.
• Provide strong presence in local community and high level of community involvement by team members.
• Ensure all store equipment and building are maintained to the highest capacity.
• Estimate needs for supplies, inventory and store items and ensure they are stocked. Keep inventory records at all times
• Direct creative, efficient, and productive advertising campaigns.
• Close out cash box when nightly or monitor team members doing so.
• Create protocols and systems for catering.
• Cerate and direct email blasts, manage listserve.
• Check First Aid box monthly for supplies.
Please send resume and cover letter to the email address along with answers to the following questions to email@example.com. What interests you most in the Store Manager Position at How on Earth? How are you committed to the local sustainable food movement? In what ways do you live sustainably?
Interviews will be conducted starting June 1st. Position to being Late July- Early April.
Head Chef/Kitchen Manager
How On Earth
Application Deadline: December 15, 2012
Start Date: January 8, 2012
Location: Mattapoisett, MA
Please Email Resume and Cover Letter to:
How on Earth
How on Earth is a small store and local foods restaurant serving seasonal farm to table fare. We are seeking a Head Chef who will develop delicious and seasonal lunch menus and weekly specials, prepared food items, and baked goods. In addition to daily ordering, costing out of dishes, and menu development, you will have the opportunity to develop our sustainability initiatives and direct innovative kitchen management systems that embody the sustainable foods movement.
The right candidate for this position is positive, extremely hard working, knowledgeable, and independent. You know the facts behind the food: where it comes from, how it was grown, what its impact is, why it is good for you, and how much it costs. You have a true passion for local, sustainable agriculture and strive make the best choices in the kitchen 100% of the time. You are well versed in the topics of grass fed vs. grain fed meats, GMO’S, the importance of anti-biotic and hormone free meats/dairy, and other sustainable food system issues. You are driven to learn and teach staff, customers, and community members about local, sustainable, foods.
The right candidate for this position will recognize this as a very unique opportunity to have creative design of seasonal menus and innovative food systems; to network with local farmers and local foods activists; and work with an amazing team of truly passionate people.
Food Planning and Prep
- Create prepared foods that are flavorful and popular with customers and also emphasize local and sustainable foods.
- Consider dietary restrictions such as allergies, macrobiotic, vegan, and vegetarian when planning and producing prepared foods.
- Work with Store Manager to ensure efficient ordering of products for kitchen use.
- Package and present prepared foods creatively and attractively.
- Handle portion control and quantities to eliminate waste.
- Ensure all foods are accurately labeled.
- Accurately track and record food waste. Develop ways to minimize food waste.
- Accurately track and record food costs and discuss and analyze them with Store Manager.
- With Store Manager develop pricing and budgets for prepared foods based on industry standards and food costs.
- Inspect deliveries to ensure product quality and quantity.
- Continuously revise food sources to ensure sustainability.
- Teach other team members about the preparation, cooking, garnishing, and presentation of all products coming from the kitchen.
- Be knowledgeable about the sources, nutritional aspects, and other qualities of all food products in the store. Regularly reach out to team members about products coming from the kitchen.
- Respond to customer and team member feedback by adjusting products and practices accordingly.
- Direct, hire, and train kitchen personnel.
- Empower team members through job training workshops and skill development. Ensure that all team members have the knowledge and skill to provide customers with excellent customer service.
- Regularly meet with Store Manager to discuss progress, planning, inventory needs, staffing needs, research and so on…
- Ensure all kitchen equipment and building are maintained to the highest capacity.
- Estimate needs for supplies and store items and ensure they are stocked. Keep kitchen inventory records at all times
- Play a part in directing creative, efficient, and productive advertising campaigns.
- Work with Store Manager to create protocols and systems for catering.
- Check First Aid box monthly for supplies
Education and Sustainability
- Direct and develop educational materials for staff and customers.
- Work with Store Manager to ensure that all aspects of our products and services are in line with the How on Earth vision, mission, and values statements.
- Work with Store Manager to develop new and innovative programs, workshops, services, or events, to educate staff and customers about sustainability issues and create a friendly atmosphere of community involvement.
- Develop goals and visions for the future of How on Earth.
- Monitor and be responsible for financial transactions relating to the kitchen, including but not limited to buying inventory, day-to-day costs, and major expenses.
- Work with Store Manager and accounting personnel to create realistic budgets for menus, prepared foods, and butchering as well as education.
- Review monthly with Leadership team the budget, costs, profit and loss statements, balance sheets, etc.
- Ensure that all How on Earth Practices are legal.
Safety and Regulations
- Ensure all kitchen equipment is safe to use, well maintained, and clean including using the safest cleaners and detergents.
- Be Servsafe certified. Be knowledgeable about and ensure that all health codes, regulations, and sanitation rules are adhered to. Ensure that all staff members are following these practices.
- Keep kitchen, workspace and delightful prepared food displays clean and organized.
From Gardens for Health Executive Director:
After co-founding Gardens for Health five years ago, I will be stepping
down from my role as Executive Director this summer to attend graduate
school in the fall. We have launched the search for our next Executive
Director and I would love your support in identifying a leader who can
build on Gardens for Health's successes and implement a strategy for our
next stage of development. This is a very exciting time for the
organization; our model has been endorsed by the Government of Rwanda and
international experts alike, and we are poised for enormous growth.
We're looking for a talented social entrepreneur, with exceptional vision
and leadership, who is passionate about delivering long-term solutions to
end malnutrition. What matters most is that this person has the skills to
take us to the next level: strong management, fundraising, and
relationship-building abilities, as well as business acumen. The job
description is attached, and can be found here:
Can you think of individuals who would be a good fit? We would greatly
appreciate your recommendations for potential candidates. Please feel free
to forward this email, or have them contact me directly:
I ask for your help in spreading the word, and recommending listservs,
sites, and groups where we can post the job description. Please do not
hesitate to contact me with thoughts/questions/comments. Needless to say,
identifying the right leader is our top priority these days, and I am eager
Thank you so much for your help at this critical moment in Gardens for
With much gratitude,
Gardens for Health Int'l
grow food. grow health.